Sunday 1 January 2012

happy new ears.

Okay... so starting 2012 with a monster hangover perhaps hasn't been my finest moment; however, beyond the pounding headache and the dodgy tummy, I have a feeling that this year will offer some very positive opportunities.

On 9th January I will begin the next phase of my medical degree. I had quite a major confidence wobble during the past six months, and consequently sought some counselling in order to understand how I was feeling and the reasons for those feelings. Having had some time over the Christmas period to relax and allow my mind and soul to recuperate, I now feel much stronger and more ready to enjoy and succeed in the clinical parts of my training. I'm also really looking forward to embarking on some of the things which I wanted to do before but felt a bit nervous about, like going to jive classes, and doing more exercise. 

This feels like a good time to make a little list of "resolutions", seeing as that's the tradition!

In 2012 I would like to:
  • do at least one thing every day which is purely for me,
  • be assertive and confident when I am working on placement,
  • eat smaller portions of food,
  • go to jive once a week,
  • swim a mile once a week,
  • go to choir once a week,
  • write more poetry,
  • take more beautiful photos,
  • go to Italy,
  • actually make a budget and stick to it so that I feel more relaxed about money,
  • make more effort to keep in touch with my friends, both in Sheffield and elsewhere,
  • tell the people I love that I love them.
So here's to new beginnings. Although I said will write more new poetry this year, I'd like to share a poem that I wrote a while back about beginnings and going through changes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Here we are again, 
on the turn from yesterday,
tripping over our own feet in a change of
direction,
affections focused on some things new,
with flickers of yesterday still looking through
the cracks in the wall -
barrier
between today and what used to be.
But you could still tear it down and revisit
and see,
if you wanted to.
I wouldn't recommend it.

It's about time we moved on.

Not because of bad times gone,
but because lives are always changing,
stars and patterns rearranging themselves,
a fresh hand dealt to longing arms,
reaching out for something better.

Sometimes change will hurt.

But soon enough
we will adjust,
and touch our fingers on the sands of comfort,
and turn our heads to the seas of dawn,

and not feel scared.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Beckie! I share many of your hopes for 2012. Here's hoping we both achieve them! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I really appreciate your thoughts! x